Nowadays, slim and muscular is in. With the ‘size zero’ fad among women and the ‘spartan’ look among men, you will find a lot of gyms and trainers offering weight loss services and plans. There is, however, another group of people, who simply cannot seem to gain weight. These people, with their fast metabolism, seem to burn through everything so quickly that the body doesn’t hold on to any muscle or weight. There aren’t a lot of places where you can get accurate and time bound plans which offer weight gain services.
Here are a few pointers which can help someone looking to gain weight get started:
1) Eat multiple meals a day – You have to increase your calorie intake significantly, which means you may need to eat 6-8 meals a day!
2) Eat a lot of good home cooked meals – Fast food, as we all know, is not the friendliest food for your body. So in a situation where you need to eat so much more than you do right now, it isn’t the best idea to binge on junk food. Instead, home cooked meals offer better quality nutrients, and obviously can be customised to suit your taste! Also, keep your water intake high.
3) Protein is your best friend – Your muscles are made of protein. So its just common sense that what you put in your body, will show on the outside. Non-vegetarian sources like meat, fish, eggs etc, are considered some of the best sources of protein. However, vegetarian options like soya, milk or milk products, nuts etc, are available too.
4) Carbohydrates will help you put on weight – This is correct. However, your body uses carbohydrates as a source of energy, and any additional carbs thats not used by it, tends to get stored as fat. So, although ones need to consume carbs is a must, because we all need energy, keep it mind that eating more of it will help you gain weight but not make you look sculpted. So its advisable to include more protein than carbs in your diet.
5) Keep a track of what and when you eat – You may want to keep a diary or set alarms on your cell phones as a reminder to eat. It will give you a sense of purpose and act as a constant reminder of what you are trying to achieve.
6) Workout – Your body is a machine. And any machine which is not used regularly, tends to rust. So it’s advisable to include at least one hour of workout, 5 days a week, in your schedule. This will provide stimulus for your body to gain muscle, and in turn, weight. Your workout plan though, needs to be designed keeping in mind weight gain, and not weight loss. Customising the exercise routine for this is very important. An important part of such a workout routine would be multiple compound movements.
7) Sleep – Last, and possibly the most important, is sleep. An average adult person needs to get 6-8 hours of sleep everyday, preferably, at night. Its while you sleep, that your body repairs itself and also releases the required hormones necessary for growth. Unless a person gets to sleep for that amount of time, your body is in a constant state of fatigue and won’t be able to perform normally in everyday life. A regular sleep cycle with enough hours, can also help you reach your weight gain goal sooner.
Follow these pointers, and you will be on your way to gaining weight and size in no time!